Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

We took our 14 year old French Brittany to a new Vet

Customer Question

We took our 14 year old French Brittany to a new Vet for teeth cleaning. Upon inspection the VET said six teeth should be pulled. I approved 3 teeth being pulled and then re-evaluate. The VET pulled all six teeth and within days our dog begin to have problems including areas of swelling on her muzzle and swelling around her left eye with a good portion of the left eye showing white from the corner of the eye and back beyond. The Vet is theorizing that there was Cancer present and when the Teeth were pulled it permitted the Cancer to grow/expand. The dog is obviously having trouble with her left eye and muzzle but it is not sensitive to touch. We're wondering if there is someway to stop the advance of the cancer or whatever it is and cause the points of swelling to grow smaller or diminish from what we now see? Thank you for you time, David
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bruce. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

I'm sorry to hear about Micki's situation. With medicine, sometimes there are differences of opinion. I'm going to say that my opinion is that cancer shouldn't "spread" when a tooth is pulled. If there was cancer there, an infected / altered tooth wasn't holding it back and then it progressing dramatically after it is removed. I would be more suspicious for an infection in that area from the infected tooth / the tissues around there being altered during the dental / tooth removal process. If she's not on antibiotics at this time, that would be absolutely something that I would be highly recommending.