Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan,
Experience:  Small Animal Surgery Resident at University of Florida

My dog had diarrhea 36 houra ago and has not pooped since.

Customer Question

My dog had diarrhea 36 houra ago and has not pooped since. She swam in a salt water pool for a couple hours yesterday and afterwards she was lathargic. She is not breathing really fast but not panting. Sometimes she starts shaking. I'm trying to give her water from a fresh bowl and filtered water but she won't move
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She was sick a couple weeks ago. She had bad diarrhea. They have her antibiotics and a probiotic. She's bee. Off the meds and was doing fine until she had diarrhea again 36 hours ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help answer your question today. What is your dog's name?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her breathing fast is concerning me. And unfortunatly I don't have the hundreds of dollars I need to get testing done. Her name is Missy

Thank you, ***** ***** understand your concern- it is very alarming when our pets aren't acting right, especially when we have financial constraints. I too am concerned by the rapid breathing, lethargy, and not wanting to drink voluntarily. With the history of diarrhea then swimming in a salt water pool, I worry that Missy could be severely dehydrated and in need of veterinary care. The rapid breathing concerns me with the history of recent swimming, as dogs can get a syndrome known as near-drowning, in which they actually inhale some amount of water but not enough to be noticed at the time.

My recommendation is to take Missy to an emergency veterinarian today. I understand that you have financial constraints, but veterinarians are used to working within budgets. Be up-front about the amount of money you can afford, and at the very least they can examine her and make recommendations for at-home care. If they feel that her condition is dire or unlikely to improve without treatment, they will encourage hospitalization and try to help you find funding (through sources such as Care Credit or others). If no funding is found, they may ultimately recommend humane euthanasia (again, only if her condition is extreme and unlikely to improve) as an alternative to expensive treatments.

Do you have any further questions or need any clarification?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If she is dehydrated, what can I do to help her?

Well that's the hard part. If she's not willing to drink voluntarily (which can happen when they don't feel well), then we are left with injectable fluids (either under the skin or into a vein), which isn't something that you can do at home. As far as encouraging her to drink at home, you can try diluting low sodium chicken broth into her water, but you have to be careful because chicken broth (even the low sodium kind) is very salty and in general we want to avoid adding salt into a dehydrated animal. You can also dilute pedialyte into her water to try and encourage drinking. Always offer small volumes at a time so she doesn't drink down a whole bowl and then vomit, but offer small amounts frequently.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay thank you..

Of course. I'm sorry I know how upsetting this is. I wish you and Missy the best.