Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog took off running to the back yard and now she's

Customer Question

Hi. My dog took off running to the back yard and now she's limping and can't put much weight on her back right leg.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes and no wound. I have massaged her whole leg and she doesn't Yelp or look discomfort when I do
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoe and she's five
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoe?
Customer: No. Never had any issues until now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Zoe is limping today. The primary concern is a cruciate tear with her acute symptoms. I would advise a veterinary exam because a home evaluation will not give this diagnosis, a veterinarian needs to check the stifle for drawer or movement which cannot be done without an experienced hand. Often with palpation and manipulation at home you will not see any indications of this condition

Here is more information on cruciate tears in dogs:

Until you are able to have an evaluation, please limit activity as much as you are able. Rotate warm and cool compresses on the leg in ten minute intervals, and massage from toes to hip and back down again frequently to stimulate blood flow therefore healing

You can use a towel as a sling under the groin to control movements up/ down steps and minimize risk of further injury and please limit to leash only to go potty until seen by your veterinarian.

I hope this information makes sense. It is possible that this is a simple muscle injury but I suspect you would have seen some improvement if that were the case in this length of time. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!