Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My little cheewawa dog Dixie, 8 y/o presents a pant heavily

Customer Question

my little cheewawa dog Dixie, 8 y/o presents a pant heavily breathing, just like if she have something staked in her troth... shes doesn't eating or drinking and just want to stand up out side... she dont want to come inside....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Dixie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am not sure what you mean by has something staked in her troth?

If you check her gums, are they pink in color or are they pale?

How long since she is not eating and drinking?

Panting and heavy breathing can indicate fever, heart disease, fluid in the lungs, or infection. If her gums are pink, that is a good sign she is not in immediate danger. If her gums seem pale, or purple in color, this might be an emergency.

Let me know what her gums look like and how long she has been like this. Can you take her temperature with a thermometer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not sure, but it's not pink at all.... looks like a pale and little blue... about she looks like have something staked in her trot it's because she looks likes trying to cofy something, like a hair ball. ... can I send a pic or video ?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

If her gums are pale, and blue, this is an emergency. She is not getting enough oxygen into her lungs. It is probably not a hair ball, because hair balls are in the stomach her her problem is her lungs and airway and possibly her heart.

You can send a picture or video posted her or online and send the link, but if her gums are blue she needs to get to a veterinarian immediately. She needs oxygen, a chest Xray, and medication to help her breathing and coughing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

How is Dixie doing? I hope you are getting her to an emergency clinic. Please let me know how she is doing.