Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My beagle, almost 1 1/2, has been reverse sneezing to three

Customer Question

My beagle, almost 1 1/2, has been reverse sneezing for two to three days and is lethargic, but will play with other dogs for a short period. He is eating and drinking normally, also peeing and pooping normally. Could he have allergies? I also read that benadryl is safe to give to dogs for allergies, is this true? My vet is closed for the holiday weekend until Tuesday but I don't feel this is an emergency visit to the vet hospital. Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your beagle. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Cooper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cooper?
Customer: No, healthy male beagle.. normally very active.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Cooper but agree that this isn't an ER type of situation...not at this point anyway.

Reverse sneezing, is a normal reflex to an irritant in the posterior nasal cavity and any nasal, pharyngeal, or sinus irritation can result in a reverse sneeze. There are a number of possible causes for a this symptom in a dog (which range from nasal mites to foreign bodies to polyps) with allergies also on that list. So, it's certainly possible that this might be the cause for this behavior.

I typically do suggest Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) for my patients when they develop this symptom; the dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day. In most cases, it seems to do the trick.

However, this drug can cause sedation for many patients who take it so if he's already lethargic (behavior which isn't typically seen when dogs have allergies), then I wouldn't want you to become concerned that he's worsening in any way.

If possible, I'd take his temperature to determine if he's running a fever. Dogs with allergies should have a normal temperature which is between 100 and 102.5. If it's high, then something else may be going on but if he's eating and drinking, then it still should be fine to wait until Tuesday to have him seen.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Cooper. How are things going with him? Deb