Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I think one of my dogs chewed on a rat that had been

Customer Question

I think one of my dogs chewed on a rat that had been poisoned. She was eating grass very fast three hours ago. I don't smell fish or garlic on her breath, but she is acting strange and wants to be protected. 60 lbs. Australian Border Collie. Good health. 8 years. I just rushed to the store to buy hydrogen peroxide but saw that after two hours it should not be used. Any thoughts.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your Australian Border collie ate?
Customer: I have been smelling a dead rat smell in the dog house garage for two or three days. Apparently she found it today. I disposed of it, but think she must have mouthed it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Australian Border collie?
Customer: Good healthy girl.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long ago did she chew on the rat?

Did she eat its stomach? Or just give it a chew in general without eating internal organs?

Any changes to her breathing?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The danger may have past. Although this dog needs. Or wants more attention than usually. She appears to be better than yesterday. I heckled on her every couple of hours last night. Managed to get her to ear soft food and treats. No green stools noticed. Pink gums no bad breathe smells. Unknown what if anything Zoe ate of the damn rat. Tray could not jade consumed much poison as I only put a couple of blocks in attic traps. This doh was distressed. Yesterday shortly after I found the rat car us she was gobbling grass twice as faster as I haze Eder seen her do. Seems much better now but wants her head rubbed a lot. This was the poison called tomcat which is a bro thins. I know what to watch for thanks to rhe internet. Wish there was a way to give her extra vitamin. K myself. Even if she doesn't need it. Thanks for responding. Just thought I would give you these details as a courtesy. I think I can manage the situation at this point. Best of everything to you. This phone program changes some word spelling hope it made sense
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

I appreciate your courtesy but do want to leave some information for you since the signs she has shown aren't really our main concerns or expected presentation for rat bait. To start, of course with a possible poisoned rat in the picture, we do need to tread with care if she could have eaten the stomach (as the stomach contents would be the most rat bait rich part of the rat). So, that is where your monitoring from what you have read (ie paling gums, breathing changes, etc in the next week or so) is important. And we do usually treat rat bait suspects with Vitamin K to be safe. So, you may want to ring your vet on that.

Otherwise, her signs are more suggestive of GI upset. This could be related to a gut infection, pancreatitis, or even a reaction to chewing on a rotting rat. So, in regards ***** ***** signs you have actually seen, we'd really want to be focusing on soothing her stomach if she is still nauseous. Specifically, you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, the rat is a concern but with the signs you reported, I suspect we have something else afoot if not a bacterial infection from the rat she chewed on. Therefore, do keep a close eye but consider the above to help settle her with this and get her feeling better.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )