Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 51 pound 8 mo the old lab just ate 5 pieces of trident

Customer Question

My 51 pound 8 mo the old lab just ate 5 pieces of trident sugar free gum. Should I induce vomitting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy 8 months old weighs 51 pounds. I know that sugar free gum is harmful to dogs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: She was just spade a week ago. Don't k ow if that matters.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. My understanding is that Trident Sugar Free Gum contains Xylitol, please check the pack to confirm this. If you are sure that your product does not contain Xylitol then there there are no special measures you need take, your dog will be just fine.

2. However if it does contain Xylitol then this is a major risk as Xylitol is toxic to dogs. If this is the case then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the gum that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. If you do not manage to quickly induce vomiting then please get straight back to me and I will advise you further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just induced vomitting and she has thrown up 4 times. When can is it safe to offer her some solid food again?

Hello again,

Hopefully you will have made your dog sick and recovered the gum as in which case everything should be just fine and no other measures will be needed. But here is some more info just in case ...

1. Xylitol causes a drop in blood sugar { Hypoglycaemia } in dogs that can lead to depression, loss of coordination and seizures in as little as 30 minutes. So if you fail to recover all of the gum via vomiting you should contact an emergency vet for further treatment. Quick action is important here as poisonings related to Xylitol in gum are well documented , better safe than sorry.

2. However if local veterinary help is not immediately available for whatever reason then you should feed your dog frequent normal sized carbohydrate rich meals, give on at once and then do the same each 3 hours for a 12 hour period. The aim is to maintain her blood sugar level at a normal level until the Xylitol works out of her system.

3. But if low blood sugar { hypoglycaemia } occurs then the dog will be lethargic shaky and uncoordinated. If this happens then you can tackle it with immediate oral administration of glucose solution or sugar solution or honey (1 g per kg body weight) but really anything sugary and sweet should be fine. Animals that are collapsed should not have large volumes of fluid forced into their mouths as this may result in aspiration pneumonia. Here it is preferable to rub a small amount of the glucose solution or honey onto the animal’s gums or under its tongue.

4. If you are suspicious that your dog has had a hypoglycaemic crisis then you should get her to an ER vet without delay. Veterinary treatment may include hospitalization and intravenous fluids with dextrose supplementation.

5. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Just picked up your reply,

Stand by , typing out an answer.

Regards,

Dr Scott

" just induced vomiting and she has thrown up 4 times. When can is it safe to offer her some solid food again? "

Brilliant! Well done, so good you quickly managed to induce vomiting ...

She will still be queasy after the peroxide so best wait half an hour and then give her half her normal meal, if she keeps this down then feed the other half an hour later. But basically she should be just fine now, danger past ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Daisy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Trident gum ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She seems to be doing just fine today. Ate her food and has the normal amount of energy. Thank you

Brilliant! Great news, thanks for the update, I was wondering how she was doing :-)

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that Daisy has been unaffected by her experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott