Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog is 13 years old. Greman Shepherd. She has been

Customer Question

My dog is 13 years old. Greman Shepherd. She has been getting scared of all noises, trouble comming down stairs, poops in the house when she gets up from sleeping. Has stopped wanting to be outside, and when she is bark's the hole time. She has gone from mostly independent to focused on me and ignores my husband and Daughter. Does she have doggy demencha? Or something else going on.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Given her age it is very possible she has canine cognitive dysfunction. This would show behavior changes.

I would definitely talk to your vet about this as there is medication to help. Below is a link that goes over this.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Kimberly,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, I never got the first one. But now I got it. She is doing good. Notice also she is using her fount legs more then her back. I know the last time I took her to the vet. She was in early hip displaga. And when I said to them about pooping in the house , they gave her antibiotics but that didn't fix anything. They wanted a urine sample, but my dog running from me and the cup.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

IF she has hip dysplasia usually surgery is needed. You can help her though by giving coconut oil and a tablet or 2 of of Cosequin in her daily diet. This should help with movement of the joints. There is also NSAIDS (Norvox, Rimadyl) your vet can give you for any pain, I would keep that on hand at all times for painful days.

coconutoil use

cosequin (f you are a Costco member you can get a large bottle there for a good price)

As for the urine sample, if needed your vet can catheter the dog and get a sample that way.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

you are welcome