Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I'm not sure how my dog had a lump on s p I just noticed it

Customer Question

I'm not sure how long my dog had a lump on his hip I just noticed it the other day but it seems to be growing rapidly and is hurting him when you touch it or he moves funny I really need to know what to do my dogs in a lot of pain it makes me hurt to
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** a year-old we just had him neutered 3 1/2 months ago
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tank?
Customer: He has a huge lump on his hip it seems to be growing rapidly fast and today I notice it's really hurting him
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

A fast growing painful lump in such a young dog suggests an abscess or cyst and, less likely, tumor. You can dose him with aspirin at 10 mg/lb with food at 12 hour intervals which will act as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory but this is something that needs a vet's attention at your earliest convenience. The lump might be needle aspirated to see if it's full of pus or another fluid or if this lump is sitting on top of his skin, cells from it might be examined microscopically. Can you upload a photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Mike. No I want to text I just paid $15 for this I don't want to pay $28 to talk on the phone can you help me or not
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If somebody don't tell me what's wrong with my dog I'm canceling the payment

My state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Dr. Mike just wanted to let you know I appreciate your quick response and I gave my dog some anti-flame medicine and the next day I went to work and came home the dog somehow pop the bump and it rained any the happiest dog ever do you think He still needs to go the vet
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Rain was supposed to say drain out

Thank you for the update. Did it drain a clear fluid, cheesy stuff, or pus?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm really not sure it was super bloody

Probably a hematoma (filled with blood only) or a combination of pus and blood as seen in an abscess. It would be best to have his vet take a look at this. In most cases, I have to thoroughly drain these out, flush them with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, debride them (remove devitalized tissue), and then either install a drain to keep these open and draining for a few days, or just leave the wound open to drain. A systemic antibiotic is then prescribed for 7-10 days. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK I appreciate that I will definitely take him to the vet tomorrow Tuesday and I will get back to you and let you know exactly what they say it was. Thanks again for your great help and happy memorial day

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will

I appreciate it.