Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My 6yr old Labrador was chasing a squirrel and landed wrong?

Customer Question

My 6yr old Labrador was chasing a squirrel and landed wrong? he was in a lot of pain at the time and seemed paralyzed on left hind quarter. I took him to the vet where they diagnosed him with FCS. Xrays looked good with no acl tear. His injury was at approx. 10:45 this am however he still walks and drags his rear lt leg? I would just like a second opinion and how long do I wait to get an MRI to rule out spinal damage?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Brody. My name is ***** ***** I am a veterinarian.

Do you mean FCE, fibrocartilagenous embolism? This is most often seen in young active dogs. If so, he should get better with time and there is no specific treatment. However, to be sure that is what he has, an MRI is needed. If you are worried, haivng a consult with a neurologist is what I would do.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is Brody today? I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Can I answer or help with anything else?