Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My small terroir ate my Sheba inustrifexis. The Sheba is 28

Customer Question

My small terroir ate my Sheba inustrifexis. The Sheba is 28 pounds the Yorkie is 6. I am really worried
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the terrier?
Customer: No she is young close to 1 year
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was trifexis the 2 words ran together
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

Your Yorkie received a 4X overdose of the milbemycin and spinosad in the Trifexis. The milbemycin is a nonissue because I might give such a large dose when treating for certain ectoparasites. The spinosad, however, is likely to cause transient (24 hour) gastrointestinal distress (inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea). In general, spinosad appears to be very safe in dogs and acute overdoses appear relatively innocuous. In a dose tolerance study, dogs dosed orally up to 16.7X the normal dose vomited but there were no other significant adverse effects.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. She vomited once and is not her usual self. She's walking fine and just drank some water. I was worried the affect was fatal or long term

No, thankfully that's not the case. She should normalize within 24 hours. I would feed lightly if at all. If water induces more vomiting, please replace it with ice cubes for her to lick.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your help

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?