Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

My dog ate some grass and I believe that a small piece may

Customer Question

My dog ate some grass and I believe that a small piece may be stuck in throat..what can I do ..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 6 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?
Customer: No ...just ate some grass and is coughing a little
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Harley. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. How long has he been coughing?

2. How soon after he ate the grass did he start coughing?

3. Have you offered him food and/or water? If so, will he eat or drink?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He has stopped coughing and seems to be ok now....I just found a spot where he vomited with grass and a white Flemish substance...usually when he is I'll he hides,but laying on porch with me now so I think he is ok...I was just a little concerned because I thought that he may have been choking...Harley is a Yorkist and probably weighs about 11pounds now...
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information.

I can absolutely understand your worries about him since he's such a small dog but it sounds as if the grass might have irritated the back of his throat which prompted the coughing he did. It's fairly uncommon for grass to become lodged or stuck in the throat or esophagus (thank goodness!). More often than not, it just causes irritation or a mild esophagitis and the behavior you witnessed.

I might feed him soft food for a day or so to prevent further irritation (in addition to preventing access to the grass)....either canned/moist food or moisten his kibble in water for 15 minutes.

He's not likely to need any other treatments although you could give him Pepcid AC (Famotidine) if he continues to act a little bothered. The dose would be 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet twice a day. I honestly doubt if he'll need it but you at least have the option.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Harley. How is he doing since yesterday? Deb