Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Anal sac is size of apple. Hard to the touch. Blood in urine

Customer Question

Anal sac is size of apple. Hard to the touch. Blood in urine and fishy smelling.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Abby, she is almost 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abby?
Customer: No, she was seen by banfield but I cancelled the plan because they seemed to charge alot and do nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long has she had this issue?

Has she been doing any scooting of her butt on the carpet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She was seen in Oct and had anal sac cleaned. We realized an allergy about 2 months ago and the sac seemed larger. She was scratching, licking and she got greyish black scaly 'rash' on her eyes. We changed her food to salmon and sweet potato but still licking but not scratching as much. Still has the greyish black thing around eyes.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'll follow up for Lisa for you. A hard anal sac of that size in an elderly dog suggests anal sac adenocarcinoma - an aggressive cancer. Abby's hematuria (blood in the urine) and "fishy" smell to the urine indicates a bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI). A broad spectrum systemic antibiotic is indicated for the UTI but such a large tumor isn't likely to be addressed by a generalist vet. Abby would be referred to a specialist surgeon or, unfortunately, euthanasia might be recommended.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** put our other dog down last year with cancer....kind of figured when it was so big so fast.

You're welcome. I wish I had better news for you.