Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

MY 7 LBPOODLE I THINK GOT STUNG BY A HORNET ON HER FR,

Customer Question

MY 7 LBPOODLE I THINK GOT STUNG BY A HORNET ON HER FR, PAW,IN PAIN AN HOLDING UP HER PAW WHAT SHOULD I DO FOR HER???
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: SHELLY WILL BE 12 IN JUNE.THIS JUST HAPPENED
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: SHE IS ON C,D,FOR DOG FOOD ,HAD A KIDNEY REMOVED A COUPLE OF MONTH;S AGO ,THE SIZE OF A GOLF BALL
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

An antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 10-15 mg and repeated in 8-12 hours if necessary should be safe and helpful. Pain relief in the form of aspirin dosed at just one 81 mg baby aspirin with food and repeated in 12 hours should provide adequate analgesia. Having her stand with that paw in ice water for 10 minutes should numb the envenomated area quickly.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.