Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I think he has kennel cough : Beamer : 7 : english bulldog

Customer Question

i think he has kennel cough
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Beamer
JA: How old is Beamer?
Customer: 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beamer?
Customer: english bulldog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no - he is healthy. Is there any over the counter cough medicine i can give him?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Unfortunately, nothing of value. Most of the over the counter cough suppressants contain dextromethorphine which is no longer recommended for dogs due to lack of efficacy. You'll have better luck dosing Beamer with a tablespoon of honey every few hours and keeping him as quiet as possible.

While kennel cough can affect any age dog, our older dogs may cough for more serious reasons - advanced cardiopulmonary disorders such as heart failure, sterile bronchitis (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/COPD), heartworm disease, and neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. If Beamer's coughing persists for more than a week it would be prudent to have his chest auscultated (listened to) and X-rayed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.