Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Diarherrea days, limited eating and drinking, can't sit next

Customer Question

diarherrea for 3 days, limited eating and drinking, can't sit next to him extreme gas and body odor.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: 4 year old min pin
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no, usually just very happy and hyper, wants to cling to everyone and rest
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that your guy has a serious digestive disturbance possibly from something odd that he may have ingested. To stop the cycle, follow these instructions:

Fast your guy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down. Water is ok.
Give him Imodium AD at ½ caplet per 15 pounds of weight every 8 hrs. available over the counter at the pharmacy.
After the fast, feed a meal of rice and boiled chicken (2/1).

If this has resolved, wean your guy onto regular food. If this persists, have your vet examine your guy. Even the dehydration from this can be serious and then your vet will determine the cause so treatment can be initiated correctly.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this makes perfect sense, i had the same thought yesterday about fasting. I so much appreciate your help and we will start this immediately !!! can't thank you enough :) have a wonderful weekend !!! karin

You are very welcome, Karin! I hope your guy feels better soon!