Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 95lb chocolate lab, 4.5 y/o male who has a clean health

Customer Question

My 95lb chocolate lab, 4.5 y/o male who has a clean health history had eaten an expired 2oz tube of 1% cortisone cream that was half full. He has no symptoms. Is this ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Norman will not have any bad effects from the small amount if cream in the tube but he could have some problems if he ingested the tube also. This will have sharp edges that could possibly produce tears in his digestive tract or cause an obstruction. If Norman ingested this more than 4 to 6 hrs ago, he is most likely going to be fine since this is the transit time of his digestive tract. If it has been less time, watch him closely looking for any signs of a digestive disturbance such as vomiting, diarrhea and/or anorexia. In most cases such as this, Norman wil be fine....

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm fine with your response. I had done some quick research just after I noticed he had eaten it and materials had said he should be just fine. He has an iron stomach!! Thank you for your response and assurance!!

Good for you! This creme is so diluted that it would rarely cause any problems...lucky for sweet Norman.

You are very welcome!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fantastic first expirence.

That is so nice of you! Sending HUGZ to Norman!!