Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog has been limping on s right real leg and the leg

Customer Question

my dog has been limping on his right real leg and the leg seems to be turned ouward. As far as I know there was no injury.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Because of your guys age, there is a good chance that he has arthritis in his hips or vertebrae which is interfering with the nerve supply to the leg. This will cause this limping, pain and the leg turning outward. This is usually caused by inflammation so it is best to start your guy on aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs as long as he is eating. This will reduce the inflammation and pain and help your guy past this. I would also recommend a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin available at the pet store which will add lubrication to his joints to decrease pain and discomfort. If this does not help, your guy will require xrays to determine the actual cause for his pain.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****