Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Registered General Practioner

My yorki has trachea problems. Tonight he need a breathing

Customer Question

my yorki has trachea problems. Tonight he need a breathing treatment I have a machine and my albuterol. How can I mix mine with sterile water? What proportions should I mix for a 12 lb. I have the mask for a dog and adapted to breathing machine. .
He is starting to gasp . Please tell me. Thank you.
Janie Davis (*****@******.***)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 5 months ago.

No. Please take Tuffy to see you nearest emergency vet hospital as soon as possible. Albuterol is not a treatment for tracheal problems. It does nothing for the trachea, as that it only works on the bronchioles. Besides, you have already given him one, and it has not worked. It is likely that you and Tuffy have quite different problems and the same medications will not do Tuffy any good.

If Tuffy is gasping, he is showing signs that he already cannot get enough oxygen into his body. Which is why you need to go the vet right away. They will be able to give him oxygen and help with his trachea.