Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My 1 1/2 year old black lab threw up her dinner about 20

Customer Question

My 1 1/2 year old black lab threw up her dinner about 20 minutes after eating, which rarely happens. Then acted a little like something was stuck in her throat, swallowing motions. Then wanted out and proceeded to be obsessive with eating grass. I let her in so she could no longer eat grass. She seems more normal now, and is sleeping. Has not thrown up again. If she has something in her throat, can it pass it soon, if she can't throw it up? Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. That is good that she's sleeping now and hasn't thrown up again. I'm going to be honest here and say that most likely something isn't stuck in her throat. If something was stuck, she wouldn't have been able to eat grass and keep it down. More than likely she was eating the grass to help settle her stomach as something caused the upset. At this time, what caused the upset seems to have settled down. What I'd be watching for is if she starts to vomit again. If she does, then concern arises as to if something else she ate may be stuck in her stomach or intestinal tract. Again, something isn't stuck in the throat, but the lower intestinal tract is a possibility. As long as she's comfortable and eating / drinking, then it would seem that things are not an issue.