Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

My 1 1/2 year old black lab threw up all her dinner about 20

Customer Question

My 1 1/2 year old black lab threw up all her dinner about 20 minutes after eating. I believe she came over to me just after, and acted like there was something stuck in her throat, and swallowing more than normal. She wanted outside, so I let her out and then she started eating grass a bit excessively. I recently brought her in the house and will not let her eat any more grass. She is resting, and seems more normal now. Just a little swallowing when she wakes up. She has not thrown up again. Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years and would like to help you this evening. What is your lab's name?

Also, does she ever get into anything that she shouldn't and eat them? (such as toys, garbage, undergarments)

I am happy that she is resting now. Dogs will often eat grass when they have an upset stomach to help make them vomit. If she does start to vomit or act like she is gagging/trying to vomit and nothing is coming up, then that can be a sign of a problem. I recommend monitoring her abdomen, if it appears that is starting to swell and she looks bigger than normal, then that can indicate that she is bloating and needs to see a veterinarian right away. If she has eaten something that she shouldn't have, then a foreign body is a possibility. Sometimes, they will pass on their own and sometimes they require surgery. If she can swallow food, then generally, they do not have something stuck in their throat, so offering a small piece of soft food is an option when she is awake.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services. If you still have a question or I have not answered to your satisfaction, please let me know so that I may address the rest of your concerns. Have a good night and please let me know how she is tomorrow.