Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC
94403761

My little dog female wants to lick her peepee a lot and

Customer Question

My little dog female wants to lick her peepee a lot and tonight one side is swollen and is a hard lump ..only in the last couple of hours..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years and would like to help you this evening. What is your dog's name?

The most common causes for licking of the back end is licking the vulva due to infection (skin, uterus, or bladder) or the anus due to enlarged anal glands. Both of these can be diagnosed with a physical examination by your dog's veterinarian. A bladder infection will usually require a urine test being checked, a uterus infection is diagnosed with either radiographs (x-rays) or ultrasound and blood work, a skin infection by impression smear or cytology (looking at the cells under the microscope). Full anal glands are diagnosed by a rectal exam and expressing the anal glands treats that, if the glands are infected, then medication may be necessary.

The swelling that you are seeing could be a result of the licking, or if she is not spayed, she may be going into heat. Going into heat will cause the vulva to swell and she will likely lick more to clean the discharge off of her vulva and skin.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know. If I have answered your questions completely, please rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services. Have a good evening!