Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog has excessive saliva and vomitin just started : No

Customer Question

Hi my dog has excessive saliva and vomitin just started
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No not that I know of
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nipsy 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Noisy?
Customer: Her eyes are swollen
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both tonight

I am so sorry to hear your pet is showing these symptoms tonight...

The primary cause of drooling and licking lips is nausea in dogs. The fact that there is acting vomiting as well confirms this suspicion but with the eyes swelling the concern is that Nipsy ingested something she is allergic to. Other possible causes include an abscessed tooth, a foreign body such as a stick in the mouth, a mass orally, or ingesting something that is bitter or caustic.

So in this situation the ideal thing is to treat as if it it nausea because it is the most readily treatable condition and if there is no change in the next 12 hours a veterinary exam is warranted to determine the underlying cause and begin appropriate treatment

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours overnight to treat the swelling of the eyes (may sedate) but please crush in water to administer and if vomiting is not subsiding or the swelling progresses despite the benadryl in the next hour please consider a veterinary er to administer injectable medication to stop the progression
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours which is for nausea and stomach acid buildup but waiting 1-2 hours after vomiting subsiding to begin this
- Take a nice long walk which increases gi motility, reduces abdominal cramping and nausea but please no grass eating
- No dinner if you have not already fed to allow the symptoms to subside without introducing anything orally that might result in progression to vomiting
- Water only in moderation
- In the morning small frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 30 minutes tonight to assist you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Nipsy doing this morning? Has the vomiting and increased salivation, swollen eyes subsided? I would love an update

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!