Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My suddenly began to behave strangely tonight. My husband

Customer Question

My suddenly began to behave strangely tonight. My husband had just taken her down the garden like they do every night but when she entered the house she just sat down in the doorway and didn't seem to know where she was. She then went into my sons room and sat in the corner staring at the wall she appears to be suffering some sort of hallucinatory behaviour like a person on LSD.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is six years old and a West Highland Terrier
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Holly?
Customer: No she had her regular hair trim yesterday and has been fine all day until this episode tonight.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Ingestion of a recreational or prescription drug should always be a consideration when such behavior is seen but most often you're witnessing a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Holly's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Holly should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Holly suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. She would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?