Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

She had a toenail removed 5 days ago. Sg : She is 14 yrs old

Customer Question

She had a toenail removed 5 days ago. Sg
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with Sg?
Customer: She is 14 yrs old and tonight has started with a very rapid heart
JA: Where does Sg seem to hurt?
Customer: She is on antibiotics. Her toe is fine but I'm worried about her rapid heart & heavy breathing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sg?
Customer: No. She is sleeping.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm so sorry to hear that your aging kitty is having some breathing troubles tonight - I will do my best to help.

Respiratory rate is a good indicator of cardiac and respiratory function. If she is taking more than 35 breaths per minute while she is sleeping, that does indicate significant compromise. It can be either cardiac or respiratory issues that can cause an increase in respiratory rate or effort. In her case, since she's so recently had an anesthetic event, it could be either that she's developed pneumonia or is now experiencing heart failure after the stress on her system. Feline asthma is another common cause of an elevated respiratory rate in kitties. Severe anemia can cause it as well. Any increase in respiratory effort or rate definitely merits veterinary investigation ASAP, especially in an older cat who may decompensate and become quite ill in a short period of time (like overnight). I'm sorry - I know that this isn't what you may want to hear but the safest thing to do if you're seeing a high respiratory rate, open mouth breathing, or labored breathing, would be to get her to a veterinarian ASAP - even if that means heading in to an emergency clinic.

Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.
~Dr. Sara

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)