Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My beagle has lost strength in s back legs. Is this serious?

Customer Question

My beagle has lost strength in his back legs. Is this serious?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 9 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

How long has Trapper had this weakness? Just today, several days, months?

If this has just occurred today, then, yes this is serious. This is one of those indications he really needs to be examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible. If he has had progressive loss of use of his back legs today my top worry would be a back injury such as a slipped disk (intervertebral disk disease). There are certainly other causes of weakness in the back end, but this would be the most common in this breed at this age. The sooner he receives treatment for this, the better his overall outlook to return to full function.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It just came on last night
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 9 months ago.

Yes, then this is serious. This is something that really needs to be examined by his veterinarian as soon as you can arrange this. If you feel he is worsening or has worsened today, or is very painful, then I recommend you take him in to be seen on emergency tonight. If he is stable (perhaps still able to walk, but weak) then you could take him to his regular vet tomorrow, but as I mentioned above, if this is a back injury then the sooner medication is started to help this, the better his overall prognosis to return to full function. If he entirely paralyzed and cannot even support his weight on his hind end, then it is a medical emergency and he needs to be seen tonight.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 9 months ago.
Hi Virginia Whittaker,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Trapper. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey