Jennifer Van Noy
Jennifer Van Noy,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Riverside Animal Hospital

My dog has a thyroid problem what are some treatment options

Customer Question

Hey my dog has a thyroid problem what are some treatment options
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Van Noy replied 4 months ago.

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about Kartel.

I’m so sorry you’re having this problem, but glad you’re looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you’re satisfied with the information I’ve provided. I’ll do my best to ear your good rating, because that’s the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I’ll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• What breed of dog is Kartel?
  • What clinical signs is he experiencing?
  • What was his thyroid level?
  • Which treatment options did your veterinarian mention to you? What questions do you have about those options?

I’ll be standing by and awaiting your reply. The website has been a little slow tonight, I will respond as soon as I receive notification. Thank you for using our website.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Presa Canario
The last vet told me the thyroid might be damaged by his collar.
The vet recommend a harness and Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Sweet Potato & Fish Formula Dry Dog Food
Right now he has a bad odor itching and flaky skin

I'm sorry, I overlooked you had put Kartel's breed before.

Typically, hypothyroidism in dogs is secondary to immune-mediated destruction of the thyroid gland (the body attacks the thyroid gland). I have not heard of trauma causing an issue before, but anything is possible. If a dog's thyroid levels test low, we typically start them on thyroid hormone supplementation. There are a bunch of different brands on the market. Once we get them started for a few weeks, we retest to make sure they are now back in the normal range. If they are not, we need to increase the dose. We then typically monitor the thyroid level at least yearly once it's back in the normal range, as sometimes we do need to make dosing adjustments. Typically, it may take several months before their skin will slowly start to improve.

Doing the limited ingredient diet certainly won't hurt.

I'm going to send you a link to a good website that has some great information about hypothyroidism in dogs.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I’ve provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you’ve rated my response. I’ll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you. If you are satisfied with the information I’ve provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I’ve done my best to provide you the most accurate, thorough, and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kartel. How is everything going?

Jennifer Van Noy