Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Ear inside swallon and is uncontroable

Customer Question

Ear inside swallon and is uncontroable
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Killer's ear situation. Is this just with one ear or both? Is he scratching at them? Is there debris in there or a not so pleasant odor? How long has this ear been like this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
only the left ear

Is he scratching at it? Shaking his head? Is there debris there?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my husband said both and yes more to the left ear
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
bad oder

Thank you for answering those questions. With a dog that has an ear that is causing discomfort with scratching and head shaking, where there is also debris - an ear infection is most suspect. They can have this just start up but some may have underlying allergies that allowed it to flare up. Most ear infections are either a bacterial infection, a yeast infection or a combination of the two. Some can have ear mites that can look similar to an ear infection. When a case like him comes to my ER, I do a thorough evaluation of the ear with an otoscope to see if the ear drum is intact. I then make a slide smear of the material from the ear to look at under the microscope to see what is causing the infection. Then based on that, I start up a treatment regime of a medicated ointment for the ear and a cleaner for the ear. The best thing that I can recommend at this time is to have him evaluated by your vet as they can do all this. I don't like to have things just put in the ear by owners at home as pretty much this doesn't get the problem resolved and it can actually make it worse. Here is a good link on ear infections.