Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

OUR 3 YEAR OLD RESCUE PUP WAS SICK WITH

Customer Question

OUR 3 YEAR OLD RESCUE PUP WAS SICK WITH DIARRHEA/VOMITING/LETHARGIC/DEHYDRATION APPROX 3 WEEKS AGO FOR 18 HOURS. HE NOW HAS LOOSE STOOL AND IS GOING IN THE HOUSE EVERY HOUR WITHOUT WARNING. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that your sweet Kane has a very sensitive digestive tract and may even be suffering from IBD or Inflammatory Bowel Disease. This LINK will explain in more detail.

For now, follow these instructions every time Kane is suffering from this condition:

Fast Kane for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the diarrhea has resolved, then wean Kane back onto regular food. If the this persists especially during the fast, take your sweet Kane to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as IBD.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****