Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What can I do to help my one yr old make pit boxer mix the

Customer Question

What can I do to help my one yr old make pit boxer mix the tip of his penis is swollenl like a little balloon and won't go back in
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please help me help him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I must warn you that this is an emergency for Jasper.

With penile swelling, the most common cause is when the penis get stuck outside the penile sheath. It can be due to hair getting stuck around the penis, discharge, or just stuck without visible reason. When this happens, the penile sheathe opening will constrict blood flow within the penis leading to redness, swelling, discomfort, and eventually can cause necrosis and death of the penile tissue (which often will be a poor overall prognosis for the dog as well).

In these cases, treatment focuses on getting the penis back into the sheath as soon as possible to avoid damage due to the blocked circulation. Some animals will allow you to do this, but very painful ones can require sedation to address this. (So you do need to take care if you try this at home and if he is very distressed then he will need to see an ER vet now). If this penis isn't terribly swollen yet (which I am worried that it is here), then you may be able to very gently retract sheath, cleanse the penis (with warm soapy water) to remove anything trapping the penis outside its sheath. Afterwards, this can be dried and a lubricant (ie KY jelly) applied to aid sliding the penis back into the sheath. You can then replace the penis by moving it forward and then sliding it back in. Once in and circulation restored, the penile swelling will usually settle. Of course, you'd want to monitor him closely for further episodes and have him checked over by his normal vet when they are open (to address any infection, tissue damage, and general health).

If you find that the penis is very swollen and cannot be slipped back into the prepuce, then you can add fine sugar or honey to the lubricant. Via osmosis, these will pull fluid from the penis to help reduce swelling so that it can be replaced. For very severe cases, ice packing or use of anti-inflammatory drugs may be required. If you try these and cannot replace the penis, then again his ER vet's aid will be required. In some very severe cases, we actually have to surgically open the prepuce to restore penile circulation (otherwise the penis tissue will die and emergency surgery would be required to salvage him).

Overall, with Jasper's penis is trapped outside the prepuce and appearing red, inflamed, swollen; this is an emergency situation for your lad and needs to be addressed as soon as possible. If he is amenable to handling and you can do so safely, you can try the above. But if he struggles or you cannot replace it, then you do need to consider getting vet aid since we'd risk the penis tissue dying if not addressed urgently.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )