Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog has a couple of open wounds on s leg. I'm not sure if

Customer Question

My dog has a couple of open wounds on his leg. I'm not sure if he was in a fight?? He keeps licking the wounds. I put some antibiotic cream on the wounds, but he keeps licking them. Do I need to wrap it ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No, just doesn't seem to be drying/scabbing, but it has only been 2 days. His leg is a little swollen.
JA: Phew. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog has open wounds. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The antibiotic cream is a good idea, but I would not wrap these wounds. It may help to use warm moist compresses for a few minutes twice daily.

If these are from fighting or being bitten, he may need to be on antibiotics. Teeth can drive bacteria deep below the skin where your topical antibiotics can't reach. If the swelling gets worse even with you using warm moist compresses he may need to see a vet to get antibiotics.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is he doing? I hope you were able to see my answer.