Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

She seems fine but eats and then vomits : Boston terrier

Customer Question

She seems fine but eats and then vomits
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Boston terrier almost nine months old
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Boston terrier eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not to my knowledge, she was locked in a kennel all day today and when she ate dinner, very
JA: What is the Boston terrier's name?
Customer: Bristol
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bristol?
Customer: She seems fine, drinking water, playing, etc but this has been going on for a few days now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Any diarrhea?

3- Does she vomit without food in the vomit?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Weight 20 lbs, no diarrhea, food in vomit

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes.

I am going to make some recommendations below, if she continues to regurgitate the next step would be a hands on examination with family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. This is what you can try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Note: If possible place her eating and drinking bowl on top of a small stool to force her to raise her head when eating.

4- If she continues to regurgitate after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays as initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter