Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Thanks She is 12 yrs old and peeing a lot also throwing up

Customer Question

Hi Thanks She is 12 yrs old and peeing a lot also throwing up sometimes seems like she is loosing weight and licking herself within some clear discharge...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no she has been feeling sick on and off for a month now peeing all the time and obviously not feeling good.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: holly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Holly?
Customer: no she is just acting weak and loosing weight..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she spayed?

2- Where are your seeing the clear discharge?

3- Is she drinking more than usual?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is she on any medications?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Doc , Yes She is spayed I saw the discharge when she was peeing , drinking normal she has always been healthy no meds..

1- How often is she vomiting?

2- How long since the last time she vomited?

3- When she urinates is the volume more, less or the same?

4- Is the urine clear or dark color?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She vomits some days then she won't for a week . just after she eats. eats grass.. vomited last night pee is clear and small squirts ..

1- How long has she had this increase in urinating?

2- So she is urinating in smaller amount but more frequent, correct?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Is she eating as usual?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ive just noticed about a week ago, yes on 2, she weighs 55 she is eating but slower than usual..

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the history and symptoms you are describing are consistent with a urinary tract infection. You see, the increase in frequency to urinate is because she has an infection that is causing irritation (inflammation) of the urethra (tube connecting bladder to vagina). When the urethra is inflamed it gives the feeling of having to urinate, this is why she is going more frequent; the increase in frequency does not allow the bladder to accumulate enough urine and only produces a small amount of urine every attempt. Other possible causes could be bladder stones.

As far as the vomiting, this can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home. I would highly recommend having her checked by family vet for a hands on examination, urinalysis, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. Once your vet confirms she has a urinary tract infection they will start her on oral antibiotics. In the meantime this is what you can do for the vomiting:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- Change her diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

3- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination as described above. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter