Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was retching intermittently few days. He hasnt had a

Customer Question

My dog was retching intermittently for a few days. He hasnt had a bowel movement in a day or two, at least I havent actually seen one. (He runs in back yard before walking.) He isn't eating much and not drinking much. Also was panting or breathing heavily. Seems calm now but no interest in eating or drinking, especially drinking. A few days ago he was gnawing at antler bone, ate a day lily, also might have eaten a small pebble or piece of tar. I want him to drink so he can pass whatever he has managed to ingest but he doesn't want to drink.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Have you seen him straining as if he wants to pass stool?Can he keep any food or water he eats down?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,I have not heard back from you but I am concerned about Cosmo. Sine I do need to be away for a wee bit to see my patients, I do want to leave my thoughts thus far on what you have told me. If you can let me know the answers to the above, it will help me potentially narrow down our concerns here for him. First, I do have to note that if he isn’t eating much, then it is possible that he has little stool to pass. And with that lapse in appetite/thirst, this does fit with issues that could induce nausea like bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and toxic ingestions (hopefully less likely here). Otherwise, we’d have to be concerned about possible blockages preventing him from pass stool and if that is stretching the gut then that too could cause nausea and appetite loss. With this all in mind, we need to tread with care. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or gut trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray. Otherwise, if we aren’t seeing those signs, you can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, we’ll want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage any material in the gut to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help anything caught or hard stool to slip through. Finally, since dehydration is a risk with his poor thirst, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). And just to note, while we’d not want to syringe fluids with his nausea, we can tempt him with lactuose free milk or low salt chicken broth. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing and a blockage would be a concern with Cosmo's signs. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. Though if we see any of those signs I noted or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, appetite stimulants, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )