Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He has lost his appetite, yesterday he threw up 3 times. He

Customer Question

He has lost his appetite, yesterday he threw up 3 times. He is still drinking and urinating. He cannot walk straight. He is holding his head to the side. Acting very strange
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: We live in the country so I am concerned that he either ate something poisonous?? Or got bitten by something. My neighbor has a rabbit. He is domesticated. But they tangled 2 days ago. Not sure if rabbit bite him or not. My dog is 9 weeks old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Are you seeing any bite wounds on him? Any chance of a head trauma? Can he keep the water down? Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Any access to antifreeze, chemicals, toxic plants, medications or drugs?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
Hello again,I have not heard back from you, but want to leave my thoughts as your lad's situation is quite worrying. First, we need to tread with great care here. All of his signs raise worries of a possible toxicity. Still with the neurological signs (head tilt, wobbliness), it is possible that we have a brain-based issue (ie bleed, swelling, infection, etc) or that we have a severe gastroenteritis (who’s nausea is why he is vomiting and won’t eat) causing a dangerous drop in his blood sugar. Now in this case and with him being so young, it’d be best to have him seen urgently (even if it means a trek to a vet). That way we can get to the root of this quickly for him. Toxins can be flushed out with IV fluids and symptomatic care (ie anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, antibiotics, anti-inflammatories for brain swelling) can be initiated to give him the best chance of a speedy recovery. Otherwise, if there is any delay in having him seen, there are some steps you can take. First, to counter low blood sugar, we can try boosting it by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into his and hopefully perk him up for us. To reduce his nausea, you can start him on an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he can’t keep that down, that would be a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. If he can, we then can start tempting him to eat with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). If he isn’t keen, we won’t be able to syringe feed if he is vomiting but could try giving Nutrical paste or a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure) if he can at least keep fluids down. Since dehydration is a risk for a pup this young, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Overall, your lad’s signs are quite worrying. Seeing them all at once really raises worries of toxicity but also brain based issues. So, we need to be careful here and work fast to help him. Therefore, it is best to have him seen as soon as possible. But any delay and the above can be tried to keep his blood sugar up and soothe his stomach to see if we can get him eating and help him stabilize until he is seen by his vet. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )