Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Thought she was choking then started eating grass like crazy

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: choking not coughing and panting now like crazy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Sadie Bernese Mountain Dog age 2
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sadie
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about this concern. Coughing, gagging, and even trying to vomit can be very confusing sometimes. The initial coughing would suggest a problem like a upper respiratory infection. However, the more significant concern is that he wanted to eat grass. That would suggest nausea and stomach distress. Panting can frequently be seen with pain, stress, and also, NAUSEA. So, I am worried that he has stomach distress. For this breed you must be very careful. Because of concerns for ingesting foreign bodies and stomach bloat, you will want to consider a vet visit much sooner than later. If his belly seems tense or bloated I would strongly recommend an ER visit now. To help settle the stomach you could give a tablet of maximum strength Pepcid A.C. antacid. Do not alow Sadie to ingest any more grass. It does not help. Very sorry that she is not feeling well. I think the choking is less suggestive of a respiratory or lung issue, and I am far more concerned about something having been ingested. I hope that information helpsDr. Andy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is laying on the floor but starring at me. not panting as bad. it happened so quickly like a bone chip broke off or something
I thought she was eating grass to make herself vomit?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 months ago.
Eating grass doesn't necessarily make them vomit, and simply packs more stuff in to that digestive tract making things harder for the vet. I would now allow grass eating, withhold food, give Pepcid A.C. and consult your primary veterinarian immediately. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 months ago.
If any vomiting begins, especially if multiple episodes, whether producing material or not, or if you observe persistent panting, pacing, agitation, get to an ER sooner for better supportive care. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What about Famotidine 10mg
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 months ago.
Yep. That's the generic for Pepcid!Hope my responses have been satisfactory.Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?