Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I was googling and this popped up. I take melatonin to sleep

Customer Question

Hi. I was googling and this popped up. I take melatonin to sleep and my NEW puppy ate one that fell to the floor. They are 3 mgs but contain xylitol :/ i break mine in half for lower dose and so he only got half of one. Should I just keep an eye on him ir what? Im worried
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: He is only 8 weeks old. So very small
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
The melatonin is considered non-toxic. Even egregious amounts are well-tolerated. Does it say on your label for this drug how much xylitol is in each pill?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It doesn't :/ it is the first ingrediant listed. It has been about 15 min since he ate it. He is acting fine.
Thank you. Considering that hypoglycemia (the most common symptom of xylitol toxicity) arises after ingesting greater than 35 mg/lb of body weight, I would think that your puppy is going to remain unaffected. Watch for the unlikely symptoms of hypoglycemia within 30 minutes to 12 hours - weakness, lethargy, vomiting, disorientation, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), and seizures but don't expect to see them.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.
Hi Lydia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?