Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

He was outside acting very strange, like something was

Customer Question

He was outside acting very strange, like something was taunting him, he was barking , making jerkful movements to avoid something that wasn't there. He came inside and started looking up at the ceiling and hiding and sitting closely next to us like he was scared. Then he started to breath heavy and starting to calm down some. Do you know what this could be.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hes almost 2 years old, his name is***** part Border collie and black lab
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Easton?
Customer: He did just finish a medication for allergies about two days ago, it was taken in a declining dose for 14 days and he seemed to do fine with it. The vet said he would frequently urinate and be really thirsty with that medication but it seemed in the last day or so that he tries to urinate and alittle bit comes out.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Don't know if both issues are related
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Easton has been behaving strangely tonight - I will do my best to help. When I hear of pets who are unable to settle like you're describing, there are two different causes I'm looking for: either physical discomfort of some kind (including pain anywhere, itching, or nausea) or anxiety. As you can imagine, physical discomfort is pretty much impossible for me to assess without seeing Easton myself, but most times owners have an idea of what might be bothering their dog by watching their behavior. Some dogs with sore backs will guard their spine (tighten their belly muscles when you try to bend their back), some dogs with joint or limb pain will limp, dogs with severe itching are easy to spot because you're seeing lots of scratching. Nausea or GI discomfort is often followed by vomiting or diarrhea - they can get all crampy just like we can when they are having a GI upset. I've seen dogs with things like abscessed anal glands, severe allergies, fleas, GI upsets (diarrhea or vomiting), back or limb pain, and even ear infections be up all night pacing and trying to settle. The possibilities, unfortunately, are many. If we've done a full physical and potentially some lab work if we thought it indicated and we cannot see any sign of physical problems, that's when we will consider anxiety. Obviously some pets show us with their behavior that it's anxiety by "targeting" the source of their anxiety - for instance, my dog had a serious phobia of stink bugs, which would cause him to pant, drool excessively, pace, and whine any time we had one in the house. It took me awhile, but eventually I recognized that the bug was the trigger. Equipped with these tips, I think that you may be able to have a better idea of what's bothering her. Red flags that indicate that we need to seek emergency care would be: any sort of abdominal distention, pale or white gums, very high heart rate (>140 beats per minute), or any sort of labored breathing. Do you think it possible that Easton had been stung or maybe just "buzzed" by an insect outside? That's the mental image I'm getting from your description. If so, as long as he's not allergic (for instance to a bee sting), there'll likely be no issue. I can't make the urinary signs that you're describing fit easily with the odd behavior. Sometimes they will have strange urinary habits around the time they're on a steroid (which is what it sounds like your vet prescribed). If that doesn't resolve in a day or two I'd check with your vet for guidance. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)