Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Do I need to feed my 82 lb, 2 year old lab and 55 lb, 1 year

Customer Question

Do I need to feed my 82 lb, 2 year old lab and 55 lb, 1 year old lab/pitbull large breed food or can I supplement regular food with glucosamine? The 2 yo has a fowl intolerance and the 1 yo is picky -_-
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bruce. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.
In young large breed dogs like this, I would say dietary wise it would be best to get a readily accessible, affordable, and name brad large breed dog food that they like. There are tons of dog foods on the market at this time. None is specifically the "best". When I talk to owners about foods, if you are getting one of the bigger name brands like Purina, Hill's, Iam's, Waltham, etc.., then you are getting a product that is very good and trusted. As far as supplementing with glucosamine, that is something that as far as joint health goes most likely isn't a big thing with ones their age. As they get older, that may be something that benefits them.