Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Can I put Bengay on a dog's leg .

Customer Question

Can I put Bengay on a dog's leg for artritis.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. It is not considered safe to use Bengay topically on a dog. Some of the ingredients can be considered toxic or at least cause some gastrointestinal issues if ingested. Oral anti-inflammatories, like Rimadyl or Previcox tend to be a lot safer options for controlling arthritic pain in dogs and do a very good job. In mild cases, starting on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement made for dogs can get the job done. In more severe cases, adding medications like gabapentin, tramadol (not considered a pain medication for dogs anymore) and Adequan injections can help. I would talk to your vet about getting him on something for arthritis if the symptoms are moderate to severe. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.