Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

IS THERE A SAFE OVER THE COUNTER COUGH MED . I CANT FIND

Customer Question

IS THERE A SAFE OVER THE COUNTER COUGH MED FOR DOGS. I CANT FIND HYDROCODONE/HOMATROPINE ANYWHERE
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problems with your dog. Do you know the cause of the cough? There are some instances (such as pneumonia) where we don't want to suppress the cough because the dog needs to cough out the debris in the lungs. How severe is the cough? There are some over the counter cough suppressants we can use in dogs with mild cough, but if it is a severe cough it may not be adequate and we need the prescription strength.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have a script for hydrocodone/homatropine but cannot find it anywhere. my dogs has a heart murmer levil 3/4
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ditto
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
You may have to ask your vet to get it compounded or call around for a pharmacy that may carry it. Or they may be able to find a pharmacy that carries hydrocodone alone. Other options that are strong suppressants like the prescription you have are butorphanol and tramadol. Your vet might carry these in their office if you tell them you can't find the hydrocodone/homatropine.We sometimes use Robitussin DM (dextromethorphan/guafenasin) in dogs. Here is an article about that medication: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm, HOWEVER, if this cough is due to heart disease, then your dogs needs to be treated for that- the cough is from fluid buildup in the lungs and he needs to be put on medications such as diuretics to treat this. I would definitely talk to your vet- if your dog has ANOTHER issue causing a cough on top of the heart disease and they feel the cough suppressant is needed, they can offer you other medications or tell you if they think the robitussin DM is appropriate.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Best of luck!
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dr. John,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay