Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have an eight year old Maltese. She is constipated. What

Customer Question

Hi I have an eight year old Maltese. She is constipated. What can I give her? Ellie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Can you tell me, is she still eating and drinking normally? Is her energy level ok? How long has the constipation been going on for?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All seems to be normal except for the constipation. This is the 3rd day.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
I apologize, I am not set up to make phone calls, but I can live chat with you here. If you would prefer a live phone call I can opt out of your question and you can see if someone is available to call you on the phone. Otherwise we can continue to live chat here. just let me know which you prefer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not want to spend more to talk to anyone please continue with the live chat
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Ok, great. Give me just a few minutes to type an answer for you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you there, Jessica?
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Give me just a few minutes to type an answer for you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
I am going to attach a link here with information for you on constipation: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=634. The home remedies I normally recommend include either adding a few teaspoons of canned pumpkin (the kind you would use to make pumpkin pie, but be sure it is just plain canned pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling) or metamucil powder to your dogs food (I would probably start with around 1 to 3 teaspoons added to the food each meal). If after a day or two with this, you still aren't seeing improvement, or if at any point she has decreased appetite, decreased energy, seems painful, or has vomiting, then she should be examined by her veterinarian. Sometimes we do need to prescribe a prescription strength laxative such as lactulose for a few days to these guys!
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Best of luck!