Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

SHE IS 14 YRS OLD AND CANNOT WALK ON HER BACK LEGS ANYMORE.

Customer Question

SHE IS 14 YRS OLD AND CANNOT WALK ON HER BACK LEGS ANYMORE. SHE GETS UP TAKES A STEP OR TWO THEN DRAGS HER BUTT THE REST OF THE WAY
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: LUCKY
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?
Customer: SHE WAS PUT ON MELOXICAM BUT IT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE HELPING
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. There are some other pain meds that can be added to Meloxicam. The most commonly used are Tramadol and Gabapentin. Sometimes all 3 are used at the same time. If the extra pain management is not getting her up and around, then I would consider using a cart for the back end or even having a discussion about euthanasia. It sounds like you're getting into hospice type care, and euthanasia is a talk that you should have. When I discuss this with owners, I have them pick 3 things that the dog always loved to do. Once they are no longer doing 2 or 3 of these things, then the quality of life is no longer there and it's usually time to consider euthanasia. I'm sorry again for your situation. Let me know if you have any other questions.