Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Took him to groomer yesterday, picked him up and in the car

Customer Question

took him to groomer yesterday, picked him up and in the car on the way home he had loose bowels and a little later his stool got a little firmer and I noticed a little blood in it . He ate and drank water this morning there was no blood and his stool seemed to have mucus in it not loose and no blood .pressed all around his stomach and he doesn't seem to have any pain running around with his toy ,what does this sound like. watching him carefully any help would be great thank you Barbara
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nikkie and he is 4yrs old, very active toy poodle ,nose is moist and cool
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nikkie?
Customer: Nikkie eats Ceaser and kibbles and bits small and Pedigree treats and I did try him on turkey jerkey in the past two wks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Nikkie.

If he is eating, and not vomiting, this sounds like "stress colitis"; inflammation of the lining of the colon probably due to the stress of being at the groomer. This may get better on its own in a day or two. You could try probiotics (beneficial bacteria supplements), a bland diet (boiled chicken and rice). You could also give a little bit of Pepto Bismal.

How much does he weigh? If he is under 10 pounds, I would give 1/4th teaspoon of Pepto twice daily.

I might start him on probitoics before his next grooming. I like the ones made for dogs like Fortiflora and Proviable.

Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer! Was this helpful? Can I answer any more of your questions?