Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog got into the trash and chewed on a used clorox toilet

Customer Question

My dog got into the trash and chewed on a used clorox toilet bowl wand pad about 10:00 last night He had seizure about an hour ago at 4:30am lasting no longer than 2 minutes. He rub on carpet that was cleaned with carpet cleaner about 5 months ago and had a seizure for the first time. I know that he is chemical sensitive. He seems like he has an upset stomach and wont come out of his kennel. Do you think I should take him to an emergency clinic?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Toby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: He is a rescue dog therefore we really don't know what breed weighs 15 pounds
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on Toby's signs, we need to tread with care. Hopefully, we won't see any more seizures, but if did ingest any of the Clorox chemicals, there is a serious risk of this damaging his mouth, throat, and stomach. Therefore, we'd want to check for any redness, ulcers, blisters or sores in his mouth (they can take up to 24 hours post exposure to arise). If we see any of those changes, black stool, paling gums, belly discomfort, or we cannot get him settled with the supportive care then we'd want to have him seen urgently. In regards ***** ***** we'd want to start by rinsing his mouth with cool water to remove any residue. Afterwards, you can offer some milk as this will help neutralize the chemicals he has ingested. Once those are aboard we can further try to absorb/dilute and protect the stomach with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut and again help dilute any residue from this as well as protect the stomach from its own stomach acid.Finally, to counter Gi upset, you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, I am quit concerned about Toby; especially with how sensitive he is to chemicals. So we would want to check for the above oral changes and red flag signs I noted. If those are clear, then start supportive care with close monitoring. But if he is sore at all or doesn't respond to the above, we'd want to have him seen so that the local vet can assess him for any stomach damage and start gastroprotectants and gut safe pain relief to get him feeling better. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?