How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16317
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of my dogs ate a solid chocolate bunny that was left

Customer Question

One of my dogs ate a solid chocolate bunny that was left over from Easter, i read the ingredients and it's made of cocoa butter and cocoa liquor...are these dangerous to my dog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I'm not sure which one ate it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Nothing I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did one of your dogs potentially eat this?How much do they weigh?How are the both just now?How many grams or ounces was the rabbit?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have 3 dogs and 1 puppy. Golden retriever/golden lab mix approx 10 years 100 lbs, mix bread 8 years old 50 lbs, Boston terrier 7 years old 25 lbs and the puppy is anot American bulldog 25 lbs 5 months old. Not sure how long ago it was.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Do you know about how much was eaten (ie grams or ounces of the rabbit)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Rabbit was 1 lbs. The oldest has poohed and peed on the carpet. But he's started doing that a week or so ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is a worrying situation, especially for our smaller dogs in this group. This is because the cocoa liquor is a real concern in this chocolate bunny. It is much more potent then even semi-sweet chocolate (in fact semi-sweet is made of 35% of this). Therefore, even a small dose can cause adverse signs in our dogs; though if it was 1lb and one of them ate it all this is a severe toxicity even in the 100lb dog. Specifically, with significant doses we would expect to see GI signs (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, drooling, etc) within 2-4 hours post ingestion. Further to that, we do also have the risk of this toxicity causing an irregular/fast heart rate, abnormal breathing, tremors and even seizures (which can appear up to 12-36 hours post chocolate intoxication). So, the risk here is very serious With this in mind, if you are sure they had this but aren’t sure which did, you may need to just treat both. If you think it was eaten less than As well or alternatively since we aren’t sure who had this, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. It can be of benefit up to 8 hours post ingestion. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat your wee ones with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if either dog has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, this was a chocolate rabbit made with a very potent form of chocolate so the risk of issue here is quite high. Of course, how severe depends on their weight and the volume eaten but in this case we’d be best to be safe and use the above steps to avoid harm. Especially with how severe a toxicity dose this is for any of them. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet

Related Dog Veterinary Questions