Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My do has a low red blood cell. they have not found anything

Customer Question

my do has a low red blood cell. they have not found anything else - any reasons. all other tests came ok. dog is slow than normal about 3 weeks
now they took ultra sound and send one loop is big. may be some growth. option is biopsy or surgery right away and then remove that thing and also do biosy?
very confused
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
HI this is drb and I would be happy to help you.... it sounds like your dog has anemia (low red count) that may be due to a cancer which may be present in the abdomen. There are only so many causes of anemia in a dog and they are:immune mediated hemolytic anemia, cancer, ulcers (or GI bleed)Those are the more common causes of would be necessary to do an exploratory laparotomy in order to investigate what is going on in your dog's abdomen. Please let me know what questions you have. I will be online for another 15 minutes but I can also get back to you tomorrow am if you leave questions here. Sincerely, DRB
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.
Please feel free to leave any questions you have here and I would be happy to get back to you. Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Sincerely, DRB
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.
Just checking back in with you to see if I can assist you further. Sincerely, DRB