Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Pearl, JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: My dog (lab/collie cross) ate some expanding foam about 20 minutes ago. Not sure how much but less than a fist. It was a little soft when she ate it. She has some around her mouth. She seems fine.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if your collie will be able to digest that. What is the collie's name and age?
Customer: Rosie, she is about a year and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosie?
Customer: no, she has always been fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer.
I would induce emesis by dosing Rosie with 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight (maximum dose 45 mL/3 measuring tablespoons). She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeating the same dose is prudent. A small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek should facilitate dosing.The MSDS sheet on these expanding foams doesn't tell us much about its toxicity. It shows that an egregious amount would need to be ingested for the diphenylmethane-4,4-diisocyanate in these products to be harmful but the toxicity for the butane and dimethyether in the product is unknown. The manufacturer claims that once the product "cures", however, it's nontoxic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?