Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog just threw up a brown thick substance and a lot, in

Customer Question

My dog just threw up a brown thick substance and a lot, in it was a piece of a treat he had over 5 hours ago, he immediately after began pooping.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This has never happened before and he was fine leading up to it. Don't wanna over react but my dog is like my second child
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like the treat may have upset his stomach. That could lead to the vomiting and also the increased bowel movements. If you want to give him something today to help settle his stomach, you can give an over the counter antacid like Pepcid (Famotidine). You could give 10 mg every 12-24 hours, as needed. If he becomes lethargic and continues vomiting, then I would worry about a potential foreign body obstruction. In that case, I would get x-rays of the abdomen to make sure it's not a surgical disease. I don't think that's the issue now, but it's worth keeping in the back of your mind. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was just so random I got home we went out everything was fine, and then we were laying there and he jumped down, and it sounded like a faucet of water and immediately smelled like poop before he start doing that
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hopefully it's just a bug that works itself out on it's own. If it continues, though, I would get it treated.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi Brandon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tank. How is everything going?