Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 4 year old started not feeling well yesterday. He's

Customer Question

My 4 year old started not feeling well yesterday. He's shivering some and not eating or drinking. He did throw up one and peed inside twice now. He won't eat a treat or anything. He just sits there and looks at you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I would wonder whether he has something infectious. The trembling and lethargy are both potential signs of fever. If you want to check at home, you can use a digital thermometer and check a rectal temp. Normal is 100-102. If > 103, that's a fever. If that's the case, aspiration pneumonia would be a consideration given the recent vomiting. Chest x-rays would be needed to confirm that. If the temp is normal, then I would start to think about pain as the cause. Back pain from a disc herniation can lead to these signs. We also tend to see a reluctance to do stairs or jump up on furniture. We treat those guys with anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl) and pain meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol). For now, I would start with the exam and then go from there. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.